There are so many reasons to love Dirigo Pines – let us count the ways!
- Putting Green: Take a swing over at Dirigo’s Piney Knoll Putting Green. In 2014, the 40 by 15 foot artificial turf putting green was installed and it’s been a popular attraction ever since! You can spot residents out clearing the snow at the first signs of spring, anxious to get swinging! The green is host to annual putting contests among residents, as well as with other area retirement communities. It’s also a great way for residents to brush up on their short game while preparing for Dirigo’s annual Golf Classic that takes place each August to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Trails: Dirigo’s trails connect in with the Orono Land Trust’s Sklar Park trail system, a 40-acre parcel situated at the west end of Main Street, between Route 2 and I-95. Pick up a trail brochure – developed by our residents and available at the trail entrance behind the Dirigo Pines Inn – and get walking and discovering! Click here for more information about our trails!
- Fine Dining: Chef Lou Stubbs and his incredible team in the kitchen make mouth-watering meals that leave residents (and visitors) raving. Using locally sourced produce and seafood is important to the team, and ensures high quality, fresh and delicious meals. From grilled salmon to monte cristos to lobster ravioli, the dining at Dirigo can’t be beat. And don’t miss Sunday brunch – it’s an amazing spread you’ll be thinking about all week! Dirigo recently introduced All Day Dining Program, a unique concept designed to provide residents freedom of choice with options like breakfast for dinner or lunch at 2 p.m. rather than noon.
- Location, Location, Location: Orono is centrally located in our great state, and just a short drive to amazing attractions like Acadia National Park, Maine’s rocky coastline, the western mountains, outdoor adventures in the great north woods, or a day of shopping in Freeport. Within Orono itself, great restaurants, museums, and the University of Maine are all easily accessible. At UMaine, enjoy a show at the Collins Center, cheer for the Black Bears hockey team, check out Fogler Library, or enjoy a swim or workout at the New Balance Recreation Center. UMaine also offers tennis courts, cross-country skiing trails, and bike paths. Seminars and lectures are regularly presented on campus, and academic courses offer endless ways to fulfill lifelong desires for learning. Click here for a list of upcoming performances at UMaine’s Collins Center for the Arts.
- The People: Dirigo Pines is home to artists, musicians, college professors, outdoor enthusiasts, world travelers – you never know who you might meet while walking the halls or trails, attending an event or enjoying dinner. Dirigo Pines also boasts the friendliest and most professional staff around. There’s always someone to greet you with a warm smile at Dirigo or offer a helping hand. Our nursing staff is available around the clock, our maintenance crew is always ready to help, and our kitchen staff is top notch.
- Beautiful Facility: We know you’ll be impressed the moment you step foot on Dirigo Pines’ campus. From our beautifully maintained grounds, stunning Inn, stone fireplaces, and cozy library, it’s clear that attention to detail is important here. There’s something for every season – from spring fishing in the stocked ponds, to summer meals on the stone patio, to walking the nature trails to enjoy the fall foliage or winter’s wonderland.
- Fishing Ponds: Dirigo Pines offers two stocked fishing ponds, available to residents ready to cast a line. The ponds are stocked with small trout each spring, just before we celebrate our annual Fishing Derby for anglers of all skill levels. Residents have been known to hook a monster or two and throw them right on the grill! The ponds are one of the many ways to enjoy nature at Dirigo. They’re surrounded by walking trails and benches, and it’s not uncommon to spot a deer, Canada geese or a heron enjoying the natural beauty.
- Healthcare Services When You Need Them: Working with area hospitals, Dirigo Pines offers a depth of medical expertise to all residents. The Inn provides independent and assisted living opportunities, as well as memory care and specialized care. Primary and specialized care practitioners provide on-site geriatric care, podiatry, physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy services.
- Activities & Events: Dirigo residents and staff know how to have fun! From concerts and play productions, to fun traditions like watching Dirigo Dug come out of his tent each Groundhog Day to predict the beginning of spring, there’s no shortage of entertainment at Dirigo Pines. The Dirigo Pines activity staff plans regular exercise programs, guest speakers, groups for all interests, musical entertainment, outings to local shows and attractions, movies and more. With fulfilling programs and activities every day, it’s easy to meet new people and make new friends.